Join us in our adventure by supporting Cuso International.

Saturday, January 19, 2013

PATRICIA’S NEW PROJECT


(pas de francais, mes amis.  Jean-Claude est au yoga!)

The second part of my Cuso International assignment began January 7, 2013.  I moved from downtown Georgetown to the University of Guyana’s campus, about a 20-minute taxi ride from my house.  Barbara Deodat, the Head of the Distance Education Department of IDCE (Institute of Distance & Continuing Education) has spent the last 6 months overhauling the space for her department.  She had the 4 rooms cleared out of all the junk, painted, new computers and new Internet installed.  She had a window put into the one room with AC, got a lovely desk & a new chair AND lucky me, she lets me use this room until I leave in June.  It’s bright and airy.

Santosh and Donna are the two adm assistants who are doing a valiant job re-typing the mathematic texts.  No electronic versions were found!  What a job!  Jean-Claude will help them to use the newly installed scanner to see if that will facilitate their work.  One is Afro-Guyanese, the other Indo-Guyanese, both very open and friendly.

I much prefer the campus to downtown, even if the taxi now costs me $5.00CDN instead of $1.50CDN.  Like most university campuses it has lots of open space, green fields, flowering trees, lots of benches to sit in the shade.  It is quiet and there is NO garbage.  So I am happy in my new digs.

My project is to revise and update the content and layout for their self-instructional print-based course Supervisory Management.  The material dates from 1998 and no electronic version exists. Four different university lecturers wrote the content, each taking a certain number of units.  The result is a lot of overlap, duplication and theory that is not “put into practice”.   The exercises and “tests” are all knowledge-based with no higher order skills (application, analysis, synthesis, evaluation).  The focus is on the traditional roles of the supervisor:  planning, organizing, controlling with only some mention of leadership and team-building.   Current thinking gives much more space to the role of supervisor as team leader.   So I have a wonderful challenge!!  I will be working with the 3 tutors who have used the course.  The project is right up my alley and should take me to end of April.

Have a look at my new colleagues and office……

my new colleagues: Santosh, Barbara, Donna in the adm office

Welcome into my new office (note the new window!)

Patricia hard at work!!

View from my office on a cloudy day of the campus

other side of the view - we're on the second floor!

No comments:

Post a Comment